Language Help

Need coverage now? We can help you get started
You may qualify for coverage through a Special Enrollment Period or Medicaid/Children’s Health Program (CHIP)

You may qualify for coverage through Access Health CT at any time, if:

DID YOU LOSE YOUR HEALTH INSURANCE COVERAGE? You may qualify for coverage through Access Health CT at any time, if you have a Qualifying Life Event through a Special Enrollment Period (SEP). Special Enrollment Period is a time outside of the Annual Open Enrollment Period (Nov. 1 – Dec. 15) when you can sign up for health insurance coverage through Access Health CT. If you experience a Qualifying Life Event like losing coverage due to job change/loss, aging off your parents’ plan, moving to Connecticut, getting married, having/ adopting a child, etc., you must:

  • Start your application with Access Health CT within 60 days of your Qualifying Life Event.
  • Verify your Qualifying Life Event before your coverage can begin. More info here.

Full list of Qualifying Life Events and Verification Documents:

Qualifying Life Events
Verification Document
Loss of Minimum Essential Coverage (MEC) occurs when an individual loses a health insurance plan that meets the Affordable Care Act (ACA) requirement for having health care coverage. Examples include:

• Losing your coverage due to job change
• Losing coverage through your employer
• Exhaustion of COBRA coverage
• Losing coverage through your spouse or parent

• No longer eligible for Medicaid/HUSKY
• No longer eligible for an Advance Premium Tax Credit (APTC) or a Cost-Sharing Reduction (CSR)
• Change in citizenship or lawful presence status
• Decertification of your health plan
• Cancellation of employer health care coverage for employees or their beneficiaries
• Cancellation or large reduction in employer contributions toward coverage so that your share of premium does not meet federal standards

Please note: Loss of MEC does not include voluntarily dropping coverage or termination by the insurer due to non-payment of monthly payments (premiums).
Provide a coverage termination letter from employer, HR department, or healthcare coverage administrator of your terminated coverage. Termination letters must include:

• Your first and last name
• An insurance coverage end date that happened or will happen within 60 days of your Access Health CT application date.
• The last day of coverage in the termination letter must be the same as the coverage end date you list on your application.
• Name of employer or healthcare coverage administrator
• Name and signature of authorized person issuing the letter

Please note: If your coverage termination letter says that you did not pay your monthly payments (premiums) or that you chose to end your coverage, you will not be eligible for Special Enrollment.
• A recent move to Connecticut from another state or country
A piece of mail demonstrating your move to Connecticut:
• Proof of your address change from another state
• A recent utility bill from your previous address AND a utility bill from your new Connecticut residence (2 documents)

If moving from another U.S. state, proof of minimum essential coverage for at least one day during the 60 days before your move is required. This is not required if you are moving from another country
• Recently MarriedA copy of your marriage license/certificate AND Proof of minimum essential coverage for one day during the 60 days before your marriage (either spouse)
• Becoming pregnant, giving birth, foster care, or adopting a baby• A letter of Certification of Pregnancy
• A copy of your child’s birth certificate
• A copy of adoption confirmation documents
• A copy of foster care confirmation documents
• Newly eligible/ineligible for Premium Tax Credits as a result of Divorce, or other Legal Decree or Court Order• A copy of your divorce decree or other legal decree or court order (such as legal separation)

Frequently Asked Questions: Special Enrollment Period


A Special Enrollment Period is a special window of time during the year when you can enroll in health insurance coverage through Access Health CT. To get a Special Enrollment Period, you must prove that you have a Qualifying Life Event – and you will have 60 days from the date of that event to contact Access Health CT and begin your application process.

Please note that if you qualify for Medicaid/CHIP, or if you are an American Indian or Alaska Native, you can enroll any time of year.
A change in your life — like losing health coverage, getting married, having a baby or moving to Connecticut— that can make you eligible for a Special Enrollment Period, allowing you to enroll in health insurance outside the yearly Open Enrollment Period.
COBRA is a federal law that may allow you to temporarily keep your health coverage after a qualifying event, such as job loss. If you choose COBRA continuation coverage, you may have to pay 100% of the monthly payments (premium), including the share the employer used to pay, and a small administrative fee.
• If you are being offered COBRA continuation coverage, there are some things you should know before you make a final decision. Access Health CT may offer a better, less expensive choice for you and your family.
• We recommend that you check your options with Access Health before choosing COBRA for these reasons:
o Access Health CT is the only place you can qualify for financial help to pay for health insurance.
o With COBRA coverage, you may have to pay 100% of the monthly payment (premium), including the share the employer used to pay, plus a small administrative fee.
o If you decide you want to end your COBRA coverage early, you are only eligible to enroll during the Annual Open Enrollment Period – unless you have a Qualifying Life Event.
Medicaid (or Husky Health Programs) offers free or low-cost healthcare coverage if your household meets the income requirements described in the chart below, and you are:
  • Currently pregnant
  • A single Connecticut resident who has no children, or who has children age 19 or older
  • Parents or caregivers of Medicaid-eligible children
  • A Medicaid-eligible child (under 19)
For more information about Husky Health Programs, click here.
Online at
By Phone at 1-855-805-4325
In Person
 Navigator Locations:
 and click “Find Help”
Enrollment Checklist: Have this information for yourself, and anyone in your household applying for insurance:
o Dates of Birth
o Social Security numbers
o Visa, green card or immigration documents
o Most recent W2 and/or Form 1040, Form 1099
o Paystubs, Profit & Loss statements or other employment information to confirm income for everyone in your tax household
NOTE: After you enroll, you may need to provide documents to confirm details in your application, like citizenship and income.
Before you pick a new plan, make sure you know how our plans work and what services are covered. Keep your own needs in mind – search for your doctors, prescription drugs and expected medical services before you apply.

Before You Start: Create an Account or Log In, and make sure your Household Information is updated now and throughout the year.

Use Compare Plans to take into account your preferred doctors, prescription medications, and how frequently you use medical services - then compare health plans by:
• Monthly payments (premiums)
• Cost-sharing (what you pay for services/medicines)
• Doctors (or provider), prescription drug coverage and medical use.

To get to Compare Plans, click here or go to and click "Compare Plans".
• Once you've selected a plan, you will be asked to send proof of your Qualifying Life Event within 30 days. We have to verify that information before your application can be processed. More information here. • After you enroll, we may also ask for proof of other information in your application, such as your annual income or identity. Make sure that you respond to our requests for documents or information! More information here.
YES, and all help is free. You can visit our website at, contact us via Online Chat, or can call us 1-855-805-4325. If you need help picking a plan, call us and ask to speak to a certified broker who can help you choose the best plan for you and your family.

All Help is FREE, so Get Started

Sample Employer Statement SP
Sample Attestation of Non Income Form SP
Sample Affidavit of Identity Form Individual SP
Sample Affidavit of Identity Form Child SP
Sample W-2 SP
Sample 2017 Schedule E SP
Sample 2017 Schedule C SP
Sample 1040 SP
We are glad that you preferred to contact us. Please fill our short form and one of our friendly team members will contact you back.