If you or anyone in your household enrolled in a Qualified Health Plan (QHP) through Access Health CT in 2019, you will be getting a form in the mail by the first week of February 2020 called Form 1095-A with information about your insurance coverage. You will receive a 1095 A form even if you did not receive financial help (tax credits).
See below to download our Frequently Asked Questions and a sample of Form 1095-A.
Note: If you enrolled in a Catastrophic health plan in 2019, you will not receive Form 1095-A. Form 1095-A is only sent to individuals who bought qualified health plans through Access Health CT at the Bronze, Silver, and Gold levels.
If someone in your household had HUSKY/Medicaid coverage in 2019, they will receive a form called Form 1095-B from the Connecticut Department of Social Services (not from Access Health CT).
Please Note: You should expect a 1095-C form if you had coverage through your employer or through Medicare. If you have questions, please contact your employer or the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
Why do I need this information?
You need it to complete IRS Form 8962 as part of your 2019 federal income tax return, which the IRS uses to determine whether you received the correct amount of tax credits (financial help). 8962 forms can be downloaded at irs.gov website. Please see a tax professional for help with completing Form 8962.
Form 1095-A shows:
- Who had qualified coverage in your household,
- Your household plan information and monthly payment (known as a premium), and
- The amount of money paid to your insurance company to help lower your monthly costs (known as Advance Premium Tax Credits or APTCs).
I received financial help in 2019. Should I file taxes?
YES. You must file a federal tax return for 2019 – even if you usually don’t file or your income is below the level requiring you to file.
Could you pay a penalty?
- For Tax Year 2019, the penalty or fee for not having health insurance coverage is $0.
- For Tax Years 2018 and earlier, individuals without coverage during those years may be subject to a penalty.
Why does my monthly payment (known as premium) amount on my Form 1095-A NOT match the premium amount on the bill I receive from my insurance company every month?
•The premium amount in Column A of your Form 1095-A may show an amount different than what you paid all year because amounts in Column A show only the portion of your premium that covers Essential Health Benefits.
•Plans sold through the Exchange are required to cover Essential Health Benefits.
•Insurance companies may offer benefits in addition to the Essential Health Benefits, so the premium paid may be different than the amount listed in Column A to cover these additional benefits.
Important things to keep in mind about filing your taxes:
- If you received tax credits (financial help) in 2019 and you do not file your tax return with IRS Form 8962 to reconcile your tax credits, you will not be able to receive tax credits in future years until you file your 2019 tax return.
- If your filing or income information has changed since you applied for healthcare coverage, you may have to pay back some or all of the tax credits (financial help) you received.
- 1095-A forms CANNOT be emailed or faxed. If you’ve misplaced your 1095- A form, please contact our contact center for assistance.
Next steps after you receive Form 1095-A:
- Check the information on your Form 1095-A. Make sure the information is up to date for everyone covered under your plan. That includes your name, home address, health plan information, and tax credits (if applicable). If any of the information in Form 1095-A is wrong, please call us at 1-855-396-2428 (TTY 1-855-789-2428).
- To view your Form 1095-A online, log in to your Access Health CT account. You may need to reset your password if it’s been a while since you logged in.
- If you are locked out of your online account or if you need to create one, you must call us at 1-855-396-2428 (TTY 1-855-789-2428).
- If you have questions about your Form 1095-A, or if you believe there is an error on your form, please call us right away.
- Log in to your Access Health CT account
- Click the “My Inbox” Tab
- Click “View More”
- Select PDF File Icon
- Download / View your Form 1095-A!
We’re here to help! If you can’t find your Form 1095-A in your account inbox, type “1095” in the Search bar, or call 1-855-396-2428 (TTY 1-855-789-2428).
Don’t have an online account? Click HERE to get started.